Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Champagne High

I've got an hour or so before my English class so I thought I'd do a quick review (its been a while hasn't it?),


I've been listening to alot of new bands since my last review ,I've even declared from time to time that my favourite song in the world is Pearl Jam's Black, I'm not planning on reviewing it anytime soon because I really believe I wouldn't be able to do it justice, the song is beyond beautiful (yes I know say that about alot of tracks but bear with me).

Moving on, today's review will be of Sister Hazel and their song 'Champagne High' which I came across by chance a few days ago, I was getting hold of 'All for you' , and I got 'Champagne High' as well just so I could see how it sounded.

And I did,

And I liked it alot :),its was all I listened to yesterday and I'm listening to it right now too.

Anyway here goes,

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sister Hazel - Champagne High

I wasn't looking for a lifetime with you
And I never thought it would hurt just to hear
"I do" and "I do"
And I do a number on myself
And all that I thought to be
And you'll be the one
That just left me undone
By my own, hesitation

Pre-chorus
and for the million hours that we were
well I'll smile and remember it all
then I'll turn and go
while your story's completed mine is a long way from done.

Chorus
Well I'm on a champagne high
Where will I be when I stop wondering why
On a champagne high
I'd toast to the future but that'd be a lie
On a champagne high, high

Spring turned to summer
But then winter turned to mean
The distance seemed right
At the time it was best - to leave
And to leave behind
What I once thought was fine And so real - to me
And while I'm still gone
On the quest for my song
I'm at your - celebration

Pre-chorus

Chorus

Your wagons been hitched to a star
Well now he'll be your thing that's new
Yeah what little I have you can borrow
'Cause I'm old and I'm blue...

Pre-chorus

Well I'm on a champagne high (so high)
Where will I be when I stop wondering why
On a champagne high (so high)
Toast to the future but that'd be a lie
On a champagne high
Where will I be when I stop wondering why
On a champagne high... high...
So high so high you left me undone
so high, so high you left me undone....


Well the lyrics weren't really impressive I must say, but it does the job right.
I've always liked alternative songs which incorporate cellos and violins since they really give that orchestral 'lift' to a piece and bring them alive on their own, the violins in the song do just that,especially towards the end,where its presence is increased and then dies down.

One thing I really did like about the song was the backing vox at the line "I'm old and blue" , I'm not sure who the female vocalist is but it sounds really good,she can be heard faintly all through the chorus as well.

I'm sure the meaning is pretty straightforward here, I thought it was sung by a person who was at a wedding of someone he really loved, and now hes on the sidelines watching her being 'hitched' while hes on a 'champagne high'.

Alot of you might not take to this song as I did, but I thought it was pretty nice since I haven't heard much from Sister Hazel ,and I enjoy covering acoustic stuff with Richard from time to time.

Apologies for the short review (lacking in substance too I think), I've got a headache and the fasting isn't making it better >.<.

Cheers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The lyrics are actually pretty clever, as is the songwriting itself. Not really to my taste but respectable no less... any song that grows on you with this kind of persistence has something to it.

Like you, I was particularly impressed with the female backing vocals.

<3 wheeee

Anonymous said...

The background in the song is Emily Saliers, from Indigo Girls. I love that voice of hers.

Anonymous said...

This is a topic that's near to my heart... Cheers! Exactly where are your contact details though?

My web page Angry Birds Online

 
http://soundcloud.comSwiftheart